A home security system is one of the most effective ways that you can keep your family, home, and belongings safe. Even if you have a good home insurance plan in place, investing in a home security system can not only give you peace of mind but also save you more money in the long run. These systems can be expensive and it would be natural to wonder if it is worth the cost, especially if you are already paying for your home insurance. But not buying a home security system because of the cost might prove to be costlier in the long term than buying one.
To save money when buying a home security system, it would be worthwhile to first get an idea of the different types of systems available. Next, you would have to identify what your needs are and find a match for your needs from the systems available in the market.
The different types of systems can be generally categorized into those that are monitored, unmonitored, wireless and electric current systems.
- A monitored system is linked to the home security company. They will inform the police in the event of a break-in.
- An unmonitored system is one in which you will have to call the law enforcement agencies yourself, but the system itself sounds a loud alarm both inside and outside your house that will alert you to the threat, giving you enough time to call the police as well as potentially scaring away the intruders.
- The wireless system connects to a motion sensor or camera wirelessly.
- The electric current system triggers an alarm if a door or window is broken in.
Once you have decided on which type of system you are going to buy, you might be interested in looking for ways to save money when buying it. Here are three review tips that can save you money when buying a home security system:
- Inform your insurance company after you have installed the system. This is one way you can get substantial savings because most insurance companies will give you a heavy discount for the money you pay them monthly. They do this because they know that the system can effectively ward off a burglary and so you are less likely to file a burglary claim. These savings that they get are transferred to you. Some insurance companies even offer you a discount to buy the system. This is done when you buy a system from a company that they have a partnership with. They will then give you a discount on equipment and installation fees.
- Installing it yourself: Some wireless systems are DIY which gives you savings on the cost of installation.
- Monitoring it yourself: Most wireless systems can be controlled through your phone or computer through the app or website. You will receive notifications and phone calls every time the motions sensors get triggered. Monitoring it yourself in real time saves you the cost of monthly maintenance fees.
As you can tell I put a lot of time and effort into these 3 tips to save you good money. The ultimate decision is yours when it comes to which security company to use. For more in depth reviews on security companies, visit Alarm Reviews. I found their research on companies the most accurate with current information on promotions, pricing and pictures of each company’s equipment. They vote ADT to be number one but you can visit them and decide that for yourself.